Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Emerald green

   A few years ago my husband John and I were strolling through our favorite local antique mall and I paused at the jewelry counter. I spied a lovely older marquee cut emerald ring in the case. Just a lovely piece with extra emeralds surrounding the main stone. I had broken a similar one several years before and inquired about the ring with the clerk. It was about a month before my 50th birthday so John said why don't you try it on? I told him right then and there that if it fits... then we have to buy it! With a wink he said okay! Wellllllllllll you just know that the ring fit and I'm staring at it right now as I type! Happy birthday to me. So, today I put the ring on again and remembered that it is Earth Day. The "green" emeralds helped me make the connection! They never celebrated Earth Day when I was a kid. Growing up in Montana as a child, EVERYDAY was Earth Day! In my family we were taught not to litter and to pick up litter even if it isn't yours. My sister Cheryl wouldn't even let me spit my sunflower seed shells onto the trail when hiking cause others would see them later who passed by the same trail! She was teaching me to not leave a footprint of any kind!  We had a garden and mulched too. We recycled long before it was the chic and popular thing to do. Ask anyone who came to my house about how we slid the pop cans down the basement banister railing into a box for recycling!  We were "green" back then. Our local paper said the best modeling for children on Earth Day comes from their parents. Our oldest daughter called most plants broccoli bushes when she was little. I always tried to learn and teach them names of plants.  Middle child Whitney cared for the snails in our yard with deep passion. She loved those first radishes we harvested too. Son Grant spent the most time in the garden with me weeding and mowing. He loved the dirt.  I love that all my children have a garden of some size and plant vegetables! I must of passed good conservation thinking along without even knowing I was! As the old Crosby Stills Nash and Young song says...Teach your children well. Recently I started carrying a latex glove in my pocket when we walk our dog in the mornings so I can pick up trash along our gorgeous scenic coast. My husband teased me about it at first but now he's joined in. I believe he knows the latex glove is protecting that lovely emerald  ring he bought me. I'm the one winking at him now!

No comments:

Post a Comment